Technopedia is the World’s largest and most comprehensive repository of enterprise software and hardware data. Technopedia provides the data that you need to manage your assets by providing accurate and current product information about millions of IT assets.
This documentation describes how to use the API to access Technopedia data, and how to use the Technopedia query language (TQL) to create queries that retrieve the data that you need to manage your organization’s assets.
The Technopedia API provides you with read access to the Technopedia database.
To get access to the Technopedia database, you must contact Flexera sales or technical support to acquire an API key.
The most comprehensive method for retrieving data from Technopedia is by using the Technopedia query language (TQL) to create a query that is used in an HTTP GET request to query the Technopedia database.
- You make an HTTP GET request to the
/tqlendpoint, which requires a TQL query to describe the data that you want to retrieve.
- Data is returned as key-value pairs in JSON format.
The following query example shows how an HTTP GET request uses the
/tql endpoint to retrieve software product data for Visual Studio.
https://data.technopedia.com/tql?q=MATCH (n:ASSET) WHERE n.product = 'Visual Studio' RETURN n
The following image shows data that is returned for one edition of Visual Studio.
Figure 1. API response example
Try out the query by making a cURL request with your API key:
curl -G -H "Authorization: Bearer <API_KEY>" https://data.technopedia.com/tql" --data-urlencode "q=MATCH (n:ASSET) WHERE n.product = 'Visual Studio' RETURN n"
Learn more about the Technopedia query language:
In addition to using the Technopedia query language to query the Technopedia database, the following endpoints can be used to retrieve data from Technopedia:
- The Technopedia ID Endpoint enables you to submit a Technopedia ID (TID) by using an HTTP GET request that returns asset data for that ID. Every item in Technopedia has a unique TID.
- The Software Mapping Endpoint enables you map your software asset metadata to a software asset in Technopedia by using an HTTP POST request, which returns a Technopedia ID when a match is found.
- The Hardware Mapping Endpoint enables you map your hardware asset metadata to a hardware asset in Technopedia by using an HTTP POST request, which returns a Technopedia ID when a match is found.
Your Technopedia subscription determines your access to Technopedia endpoints.
The internal structure of the Technopedia database is based on graph database technology, which differs from traditional databases where the data is stored in tables. Graph databases store data within nodes that are connected by relationships.
Nodesrepresent data categories such as software or hardware.
Attributesare properties of nodes that store data as key-value pairs.
Relationshipsshow how nodes are connected, which enables you to query across multiple nodes in one query.
Learn more about the Technopedia Graph Nodes, Attributes, and Relationships.